Recipes

How Food Stamps Cooking Club Began…

Mother Connie welcomes you to the Food Stamps Cooking Clubhouse!

Welcome to our Clubhouse!

I live in Southeast Nebraska with my favorite husband, The Normanator.  We have a handful of children, grandchildren, and now the GREAT grandchildren are coming along. We love our lives!

People and health are passions of mine, as is cooking.  It has occurred to us that some people may be struggling with health issues and managing their food budgets  It may be particularly challenging if those food budgets are funded by food stamps, food commodities, or  if consumers are getting their groceries from a local food pantry.

Maybe I can help with that.  I am grateful to know how to stretch a food dollar with healthy fare and it will be a pleasure to share some of what I’ve learned with people who want to learn more.

Come to the Clubhouse any time.  We can share our lives over a cup of coffee and we will talk about food, family and fun!

13 comments

1. lesley harmston says:

excited to see what i can learn from you

2. Webmaster says:

We’re excited to have you here, Lesley! I hope we have lots to offer you in the way of information and new ideas!

–Mother Connie

3. Yvonne says:

I would like to join your Food Stamp Cooking Club and was wondering how or where do I sign in?

My husband and I are on food stamps and I try to stretch them from month to month. I think you will be able to help me stretch them even farther.

4. Webmaster says:

Oh, Mrs. Yvonne! I am soooo happy to hear from you!

You ARE a member just because you want to be! There is a box on the upper right hand corner of every post where you can put your name and email address. This puts you on a list where you will receive a series of cooking tips and ideas. Later on we might send out an occaional-VERY occasional-message if I find something I think would be of value to you.

ANY TIME you want to chime in on the conversation and post a comment, you are more than welcome to do so. The comments do need to be moderated so they don’t appear right away. That’s because the bad guys love to put naughty things there! Shame on them!

You can read more about why the Food Stamps Cooking Club came about on the “About” page of the website.

We make every effort to have OFFLINE cooking classes every year. For those who do not live in our area, we include them by discussing the class on the blog.

You are welcome to participate at whatever level you like. It is my prayer and hope and wish that you and your family will benefit from our little blog site. I have a passion for people and I love to cook.

I am SO HAPPY to sit in your circle, Mrs. Yvonne! Please consider yourself hugged!

Hugs and Best Wishes,
    Mother Connie

5. Yvonne says:

Mother Connie:
    Thanks for the welcome.

You was telling me about Angel Food Minitries in your email. About three years ago one of the churches here started sponsering Angel Food Ministries and I signed up every month for the food and used food stamps most of the time. However, if the sign – up date was several days before I got my food stamps, I would have to pay cash. But paying cash was still cheaper than buying groceries from the grocery store.

When the church started sponsering Angel Food Ministries, there was quite a few people that would sign up. But it got to where there wasn`t very many people that signed up each month. There were several times when I was signing up for the food, there would be one or two other people that was signing up or was fixing to sign up. The church stopped sponsering Angel Food Ministries back in March or April. So now I have to buy my groceries from the grocery store with my food stamps.

However I have bought some groceries from Dollar General and used food stamps there. The dollar stores have name brand and store brand food a whole cheaper than the grocery stores.

6. Webmaster says:

Hey, Yvonne!
    I’m sorry that your church is no longer sponsoring Angel Food Ministries. It might pay you to go online and check to see where else you might be able to pick up your order; it could be that some other church picked up where yours left off.

It’s possible that the responsibilities of taking care of those orders was too much for your members. It’s a huge big deal and it takes dedicated people to carry it out.

It’s true that Dollar Stores have goods we can get, especially with the EBT cards. I would caution you to read labels, though, because that ole MSG sneaks into things and so do other nasty ingredients. That’s often why those products are cheaper.

Getting the gang fed is no easy feat, huh?

So happy to hear from you, Yvonne!

Hugs
    Mother Connie

7. CTMOM says:

Connie-
    Just a heads up that I posted a family favorite Creole cabbage recipe on my blog that may be helpful to others stretching their grocery budget.

8. admin says:

Oooooooh, Carol! That Creole cabbage sounds really great! I have a mind to make that TODAY. Thanks! I may just make a note of that on a blog post, so no one misses it!

Merry Christmas!
    Mother Connie

9. CTMOM says:

Connie, it always goes over well here, and is so economical and healthful as a side dish. I also suggested to Dh that it could easily be turned into a main dish simply by adding kielbasa cut into 2-3 inch links or as slices. Add potatoes if feeding a crowd as I do. : )

10. Am trying to get on your list and if I don’t get the confirmaion the first tie I have tried will try again. Meanwhile thanks so much for featuring my piece on thrift and I do appreciate it very much. I will be happy to conribute some of my knowledge in the futrue.

11. Webmaster says:

Tasha, me love, it was an honor to share your thoughts with the folks at the Club House! We appreciate your being among us!

Big Hugs
    Mother Connie

12. Lisa says:

So glad I found your site! Will be glad to follow your journeys.

13. Webmaster says:

We’re glad you found us, too, Lisa. Be sure to sign up for our series of cooking tips and occasional email messages!

It looks as if you are all about frugal, too! YAY!

Hurry back, Lisa!